Canada Investor Immigration Program
Our Ottawa immigration lawyers at Gerami Law PC are familiar with the immigration options open to investors, the criteria that are available in various provinces and through the Federal Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program. We will carefully review your profile, discuss the various options and facilitate your Canada investor immigration application process. Our skilled and experienced immigration lawyers will deploy the best strategy in your case to maximize your chances of success.
Federal Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program
Starting January 1, 2014, the Federal government will reopen the Business Investor Class category in order to attract experienced business immigrants to invest in the Canadian economy.
In order to qualify for this program, the potential investor must:
- Make an investment of $2 million for a period of 15 years
- Have a net worth of at least $10 million
- Obtain a due diligence report explaining the lawful source of his net worth
- Meet language eligibility criteria
- Meet education criteria
- Have proven business or investment experience
For the year of 2015, the Canadian government will accept 500 applications for this program, and provide a pathway to permanent residency for approximately 50 investors and their families.
Provincial Business Investor Programs
Several provinces have their own provincial investor programs with their own minimum requirements for investment.
The chart below summarizes the business investor category and requirements in British Columbia:
To qualify in Ontario, the investment made must:
Be of significant importance and create jobs for Ontarians (investment and expansion investments both qualify)
Be officially endorsed by the government of Ontario
Be a minimum amount of $3,000,000
Create at least five net permanent full time jobs for Canadian Citizens or Ontario Permanent Residents
Comply with IRPA regulations
Companies investing in Ontario can request multiple positions for provincial nomination. The maximum number of positions requested is 25. Each position requested is associated with a certain number of net jobs created for Canadian Citizens or permanent residents in Ontario.
In order to qualify, individual investors must:
- Be actively involved in the management of the business
- Control at leats 33.334% of the equity of the business and have a minimum investment of $1,000,000
- Have no option to withdraw the investment after a specified period of time
- Not invest in a business with the primary intention of deriving interest, dividends, or capital gains
In New Brunswick in order to qualify for the investor category, the applicants should:
- Be between 22 and 55 years old
- Have sufficient English, and or French language abilities to actively manage a business in New Brunswick
- Have a high school diploma at minimum
- Have proven management experience in three out of the last five years
- Demonstrate an understanding of the business environment in New Brunswick
- Have a business plan that is approved by an official at the government of New Brunswick
- Have a personal net worth of at least $300,000
- Submit all the required forms and documents
- Submit a conditionally refundable deposit agreement of $75,000
- Score a minimum of 50 points on selection factors (age, education, skill, adaptability, management experience)
PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
In PEI under the Business Impact Category, at a minimum the investor:
- Must make a minimum investment of $150,000 Canadian dollars (CAD).
- Must control not less than 33 1/3 % of the equity in the business or make an equity investment in the business of at least $1,000,000 CAD.
- Must provide active and on-going management of the business from within Prince Edward Island.
- Must not include a redemption option in the terms of the investment.
- When the applicant’s investment is in the form of preferred shares, the business will be required to execute a use of proceeds agreement.
To be eligible for the Quebec investor program, the applicant must:
- Have at least $300,000 in net assets
- Have at least two years of experience running a business, with at least 25% of capital equity
- Run the business established in Canada full time
- Submit a business project with the purpose of creating or acquiring a business; control at least 25% of the business alone or with your spouse and have the capital equity with a value of at least C$100,000.
- Acquire a business in Quebec according to the plan and participate in the daily management alone or together with your accompanying spouse or common law partner